11.16.2012

Blog Feature Friday: Creative Home Expressions

Hi, I’m Kathy from Creative Home Expressions! Katie was kind enough to invite me over here to The Copper Coconut to share one of my makeovers with you. Today I’m sharing a recent tote makeover. I found this one at our local antique mart for $8.00. Kind of plain but I liked the shape and size.


I started out by painting it with my Annie Sloan chalk paint in Old White.


I then added a graphic to each side; this one from Debbie at Confessions of a Plate Addict.


I used the Mod Podge method to transfer the graphic to the tote. Using a toner printed/copied graphic {I copy mine at the library}, I cut my image as close as possible. The image must be printed in reverse/mirror image.



Apply Mod Podge to the image side and apply to your piece. Gently smooth it out and then, walk away. I generally leave mine to dry overnight.


The next morning, I wet a paper towel and wipe it over the paper. Just to get it wet enough so that I can rub my finger over it. It will come up like this.


Using light pressure, rub your finger over the paper until it starts to come up. This is what it looked like after my first go over.


Once it is done, you can wax it or apply a coat of polyurethane for protection. I applied a coat of clear wax to the entire piece once I was done.


A new look for a plain old wood tote!



Thank you, Katie, for having me over to visit!

Wow. Isn't that tote amazing?! I love it! And she has so much more awesome stuff on her blog.
Photobucket
Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Katie! Thanks for having me! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just the cutest tote! Kathy is so talented and creative! I enjoy her blog and love seeing everything she has created! I love the graphics on this one! Thanks for sharing a great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very cute- Kathy is so talented. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I wanted to pop back by when I had an extra minute to tell you that it took me three tries to get my post to go through. Did you know that you have word verification on? It really does keep people from leaving comments-most won't do it. It doesn't do much and I have never had any spam come through that google didn't catch. Just thought you might want to know- Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tote is adorable :) and I love the step by step tutorial.
    Have a great weekend.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I'm back just to say that, I spent sometime going through some of your resent posts, and I love your blog. You have so many fresh and wonderful ideas. I am always looking for something new to try. I love the necklace made with the spoon . . . I find it pretty amazing and I can not wait to try my hand at it. Thanks for creating this lovely site.
    Your newest blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment. I read all of the comments and try to reply to everyone. I love getting to know my readers! Have a blessed day.