10.01.2012

Boot Socks for Less than $5

I love this new trend of boot socks. I think they are super cute and gives an outfit a little extra something. However, I do not want to spend $30-$40 to buy a pair! I saw a pin on Pinterest about making your own boot socks out of an old sweater (I didn't pin it, so I don't know the original source) and thought that was a brilliant idea! So this morning, in less than 10 minutes, I made my own boot socks to wear to church.

I bought a cable knit sweater from Goodwill for about $3. Here's a little tutorial for how I turned it into some super cute boot socks.

Step 1: Cut sleeves off. **This could be your only step if you want! Just wear your socks with the cuff side on the top side of your boots. For me, I wanted to hem the bottom part so they wouldn't fray. However, I don't sew, so this is a no-sew way to do it. I used Heat n Bond, which I had on hand. You can buy this at any craft store.

Step 2: Turn the sleeves inside out and cut your Heat n Bond to the length you need. 

Step 3: Follow the directions on the Heat n Bond. It says to place it on the fabric with the paper side up and press your iron to it for about 2 seconds. 

Step 4: Fold your sleeve over to make a hem and then iron as the directions say (press iron for 8-10 seconds to seal the bond)


 Step 5: Put your sweet new socks on and pretend like you paid a lot of money for them! **This is still the "cuff" part of the sleeve on the outside of my boot because it looks better. 

Don't forget to check out my Linky Parties tab at the top of the page to see where I'm linking up this post! 
Photobucket
Pin It!

18 comments:

  1. I just ordered some of these from Etsy! I wish I would have seen this prior to purchasing them. Stopping by from Sugar Bee Crafts - feel free to check out what I linked up this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable and I love the re-use of the sweater. Well done! Got to you from Sumo's just so you know. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it,, now I need to go buy some new boots. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute and crazy simple! I'm all about saving time and money at www.saving4six.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seriously been wanting to do this! Thanks so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danelle, you totally should do it! It is so easy and they're so cute when they're done!

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad that I'm following you! What a clever idea. Thank you so much for sharing this on TT&J:)

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! I just checked out your website and it's so cute! I'm now following you.

      Delete
  7. I LOVE this idea!!! Thank you so much for sharing it! Pinned with full credit for future reference! I found you from the DIY Project Parade on the DIY Show-0ff!

    Kristy @ Shona Skye Creations
    http://shonaskye.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very fun!!! I'm featuring you Katie! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Aimee, thanks!!! I checked out your site. It's amazing!

      Delete
  9. I love this! it looks so easy I can't wait to try (if only the weather would get below 70). New follower.
    Danielle @ www.thesweetpeapod.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh - thanks for this idea! Was looking to buy some for my mother-in-law's birthday, but I may just make some for her!

    makingitfeellikehome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment. I read all of the comments and try to reply to everyone. I love getting to know my readers! Have a blessed day.