8.19.2013

Tractor Birthday Party

This weekend we had a birthday party for my son who is turning two (how did this happen?!). He is in LOVE with all things that move. Bikes, planes, cars, trains, trucks, etc. And tractors. Tractors. Tractors. So, for his birthday, we did a John Deere themed tractor party. I didn't do a whole lot of decorating, but I made a few decorations that I wanted to show you.

It all started with this invitation that I made. I found the wording on Pinterest somewhere.
And the decorations evolved from there!
Food table and pennant banner
Metal bucket for drinks
Watering trough, pitch forks and scoop shovel signs
Tractor wheels (oreos) and hay bales (rice krispy treats) signs and cupcake toppers

How to:
*Make a pennant banner.
Cut out construction paper in the color you want. Use a sharpie to make your letters. Poke holes on either side of the letter. String twine (or whatever you want to hang it with) through the holes.
 Lay it out to see how you want it to hang.
 Hang it on the wall and enjoy everyone's reaction to this super easy, inexpensive pennant banner!


*Decorate cupcakes.
Design your own cupcake toppers. I used Adobe InDesign to make these. Print them on cardstock and cut them out.
Buy some craft picks. I bought these at Hobby Lobby when they were on sale. (700 pieces should last me the rest of my life. Ha.) Hot glue the craft pick to the back of the cupcake topper.
Bake and ice your cupcakes. (Note about icing: I used store-bought, canned frosting, dumped the cans into a bowl, added food coloring and whipped it with a mixer to make the color I wanted. And spreading it with a spatula instead of a knife is MUCH easier! Who knew?) Insert cupcake toppers in order to see what they will look like at the party the next day. Eat one of the samples and give the other one to your mom to eat.

And the guest of honor in a tractor shirt! I bought a plain, white t-shirt and an iron-on decal and made his tractor shirt. (This is the only picture of his shirt at a close range that I could find.)

He especially loved when everyone sang to him. And the chocolate cake. And the icing. And the attention. And blowing out the candles. 

 And a picture of our little family with the birthday boy!

So, what do you think of our tractor birthday party?
Photobucket
Also linking to:
http://www.myrepurposedlife.com
http://www.remodelaholic.com
http://shabbynest.blogspot.com
http://www.thejennyevolution.com/
http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/
http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/
Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. Adorable decor and birthday boy! Happy birthday to your little one! My son is turning 2 on Friday also :)

    I'm wondering if we need to take of his clothes when he eats his b-day cake too. How did that work out for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa!

      It was definitely a good move on our part to take his shirt off. We left his shorts on, but he smeared icing all over himself!

      Delete
  2. He is such a cutie and that tractor theme is perfect. Thanks for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the tractor theme, Katie! You did such a cute job with the details. Someone certainly looks happy! My nephew would love this!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment. I read all of the comments and try to reply to everyone. I love getting to know my readers! Have a blessed day.