9.18.2012

Top 10 American House Styles (#2)


Yesterday, I started introducing you to the top American house styles. We started with the Prairie School, Victorian, and the Cape Cod styles. Today, are the Art Deco, Craftsman Bungalow, and Ranch styles. 

Art Deco
You can most often find examples of Art Deco in big cities, such as New York, Los Angeles and Miami. It uses a lot of geometric design, symmetry, and patterns. It is a very streamlined style, especially found on the exterior of buildings. The Chrysler Building in New York City is a very famous example of Art Deco.
Chrysler Building
Miami Art Deco

Craftsman Bungalow
This is my all-time favorite style of house. I absolutely LOVE everything about it! The Craftsman Bungalow is part of the Arts and Crafts era, where artists celebrated working with their hands and using natural materials. The exterior of a bungalow is marked by its low-pitched roof, wood or stone siding and thick square pillars. It also characterized by using earth-toned colors. Because it's my favorite, I'm putting in extra pictures :)
Craftsman
Craftsman
Craftsman 
Craftsman

Ranch

Ranch style houses started after WWII, when suburban developments became popular. Garages became more popular and were most often attached to the house. Ranches are characterized by the fact that they only have one floor. 
Ranch 
Ranch
Come on by tomorrow for the last segment which includes Spanish Eclectic, Tudor Revival, Colonial Revival, and Contemporary styles.
Photobucket
Pin It!

1 comment:

Please leave me a comment. I read all of the comments and try to reply to everyone. I love getting to know my readers! Have a blessed day.